All Posts

[#][F] Plague of Hats - 2/1/2013
Ocarina of Time is okay. Majora's Mask is fucking awesome, but it's barely a Zelda game.

[#][F] John Mørke - 2/1/2013
I am going to need a few more playtesters when I eventually start them up. Especially die hard Solar players who are critical thinkers and will match the gameplay experience against what they have always imagined their characters doing.

If you are interested, PM me here or on RPG.net (username hatewheel) with your e-mail address, information about where you live and how many people are in your gaming group.

Edit: Bolded for emphasis. If you messaged me previously without an e-mail address, I can't respond. Something is wrong with the reply function. Make sure you include your e-mail or I can't reply.

(Please don't request a starting time. When I know, you will know.)

[#][F] John Mørke - 2/1/2013
I am going to need a few more playtesters when I eventually start them up. Especially die hard Solar players who are critical thinkers and will match the gameplay experience against what they have always imagined their characters doing.

If you are interested, PM me here or on RPG.net (username hatewheel) with your e-mail address, information about where you live and how many people are in your gaming group.

(Please don't request a starting time. When I know, you will know.)

[#][F] John Mørke - 2/1/2013
I am going to need a few more playtesters when I eventually start them up. Especially die hard Solar players who are critical thinkers and will match the gameplay experience against what they have always imagined their characters doing.

If you are interested, email ex3playtest@gmail.com

Tell me where you live and how many people are in your gaming group.

Edit: Bolded for emphasis. If you messaged me previously without an e-mail address, I can't respond. Something is wrong with the reply function. Make sure you include your e-mail or I can't reply.

(Please don't request a starting time. When I know, you will know.)

***IMPORTANT***

No more private messages for now. My inbox is malfunctioning and making it hard for me to get everyone's info. If you have sent me a PM, please resend it to ex3playtest@gmail.com

If you haven't, route all your requests there.

Note that I am only going to pick people who I think will give the best feedback based on investment in Exalted and interest in seeing awesome Solars that live up to their expectations, and groups that help me test Exalted against a broader demographic of players.

Thanks for reading.

[#][F] John Mørke - 2/1/2013
Isator Levi wrote:
The Majora's Mask-style Exalted is something of particular interest to me, because when playing that game, I always got a kick out of when the other characters would refer to what Link could do through those masks (and the Ocarina, I suppose) as "strange powers".

I just liked what that implied about how the characters viewed me.



I haven't played Majora's Mask or Ocarina of Time. Perhaps I should.

[#][F] John Mørke - 2/1/2013
WarDragon wrote:
glamourweaver wrote:
Batman, Conan, Sherlock Holmes, etc would all be Exalted in the context of Creation. Heroic Mortals (without counting supernatural powers like Martial Arts Charms or Thaumaturgy) are only capable of things that awesome real people are capable of.

This makes me want to puke. Morke calls my vision diminutive, but I have no stomach for attaching the name "Exalted" to characters of such small scale as he, and you, would envision.


I'm willing to bet you can't imagine on the scale gw does. Really, where are the mods?

[#][F] Stephen Lea Sheppard - 2/1/2013
Raziere wrote:
Stephenls wrote:
Dude, everything in Exalted is magical. Rain happens because magic bears herd clouds, and that's not even hyperbole. The line between "I swing my sword real good because I have skill" and "I swing my sword real good because magic" is not drawn at the point between spending motes and not spending motes.


But how that does that feel? What is it like? If its just like earth, whats the point of it being magic?

I mean do I feel the magical life force of the world flowing through me? Do I feel connected to the pure essence of existence coursing through all that I am, pushing me, guiding me in tandem with my will guiding it? Can I hear the voices of a thousand little gods as I reshape them? Can I feel in my mind, the universe bending to my will as I do things no other man can do?



Yes, and you can paint with all the colors of the wind, too.

[#][F] John Mørke - 2/1/2013
Hark wrote:
John Mørke wrote:
Hark wrote:
In Exalted the best definition of Magic is the ability to manipulate motes of Essence.

I would explicitly define magic as the expenditure of motes.


And if the Unconquered Sun may grant a Solar Exaltation by an expenditure of one Willpower?


We are back to the shitfest created when CoCD: Yu-Shan came out and said that the Unconquered Sun can direct Exaltations.

Ignoring that, it is the Exaltation responding to the act of will performed by Ignis Divine.


Point Missing Prana
Duration: Permanent

[#][F] Plague of Hats - 2/1/2013
Wuxia films are full of characters who do straight up inhuman shit, and they are even considered unique and impossible monsters, yet at the same time it is all "just" a cultivation of personal skill.

Like, fucking seriously. This isn't that complicated.

[#][F] Plague of Hats - 2/1/2013
Wuxia films are full of characters who do straight up inhuman shit, and they are even considered unique and impossible monsters, yet at the same time it is all "just" a cultivation of persona skill.

Like, fucking seriously. This isn't that complicated.

[#][F] Plague of Hats - 2/1/2013
People seem much more willing to consider the term "enlightenment" as being descriptive of a spectrum, whereas for some reason "magic" has this love-it-or-leave-it baggage attached to it because it is so often boxed up and categorized to death. Perhaps you should all be talking about enlightenment instead of magic?

[#][F] John Mørke - 2/1/2013
Hark wrote:
In Exalted the best definition of Magic is the ability to manipulate motes of Essence.

I would explicitly define magic as the expenditure of motes.


And if the Unconquered Sun may grant a Solar Exaltation by an expenditure of one Willpower?

[#][F] Stephen Lea Sheppard - 2/1/2013
CycloneJoker wrote:
Stephenls wrote:
Dude, everything in Exalted is magical. Rain happens because magic bears herd clouds, and that's not even hyperbole. The line between "I swing my sword real good because I have skill" and "I swing my sword real good because magic" is not drawn at the point between spending motes and not spending motes.


I thought Ex3 was going to tone back on the explicitness of this?

Enh.
Hark wrote:
In Exalted the best definition of Magic is the ability to manipulate motes of Essence.

I would explicitly define magic as the expenditure of motes.

Nah.

[#][F] Stephen Lea Sheppard - 2/1/2013
Dude, everything in Exalted is magical. Rain happens because magic bears herd clouds, and that's not even hyperbole. The line between "I swing my sword real good because I have skill" and "I swing my sword real good because magic" is not drawn at the point between spending motes and not spending motes.

[#][F] John Mørke - 2/1/2013
notthepenguins wrote:
John Mørke wrote:
That's not the whole point of Exaltation. Otherwise, why do Solar Charms have Ability prerequisites, as opposed to Infernal Charms, which do not? Exaltation's not a power pellet. Solar Charms are not modelling magic, even though the shorthand in our system for anything that costs motes is magic.

...you don't get to have it both ways. The Exalted cannot both be empowered by the gods to go forth and do great things and not be magical. That magic can be one and the same with them. It can express itself only through their preeminent skill, because that's just what it is. But the Exaltation is magic. It is a gift of power, allowing you the chance to work your will on the world.


Your interpretation of magic appears to be different from mine. Which is probably why you think I'm having it both ways and why I think you're wrong.

Magic might start something. That doesn't mean it finishes it. Otherwise, every time someone take a dump in Creation it is inherently magical. After all, Essence is everywhere and the making of Creation was an act of great magic. Therefore everything in it is magical. This kind of twee fairy tale logic doesn't understand why Batman is a Solar, or why a Solar in any other venue is just a person with inordinate, impossible levels of talent or luck. It's not magic when Batman does it.

Personally I like a more intense, multi-textured view of the game, to one that reduces it down to "oh magic."